Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bad News-Praise Allah, Good News-Praise Allah

Apart from being amongst the foremost spiritual guides Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani was a big merchant too. In a sitting (majlis) he got the news that a ship carrying his goods has sunk. The Shaikh became silent for a while and then said, "All praise is for Allah", as if he was happy about it. Very soon another news came that the earlier news was incorrect and it was a ship belonging to someone else that has sunk. The Shaikh became silent again for a while and again said, "All praise is for Allah".

Disciples were puzzled. "Hazrat we understood the second comment but what about the first one?"


The Shaikh replied that when I got the first news, the bad news, I checked my heart. I found that it was busy in remembering Allah (All-Pure and Exalted is He) and was not affected by the bad news. I thanked Allah Almighty for that.